The place Auerbach was first mentioned around 784 in the researcher Codex "Laurenshamensis". Through marriage, parts of Bergstrasse 1135 came to Heinrich II von Katzenelnbogen.
The castle was probably built in 1222 by Count Diether IV.
The plan for the construction of an impregnable castle complex for the Katzenelnbogischen properties south of the Main and to secure the road toll on the important north-south connection along the mountain road had matured for a long time. In the following years the most important fortress in the Upper County of Katzenelnbogen was built. In the 15th century A shield wall-like bastion was built on the site of the collapsed high medieval keep, one of the first in the Middle Rhine region. In 1546 the castle was destroyed in the Schmalkaldic War by imperial troops and in 1674 by French troops.