Website powered by

The castle in Zülpich was built in the Gothic style.

After its defeat in the Battle of Worringen in 1288, Cologne had to pledge the castle and town to Count Gerhard V of Jülich in 1299. He then had the Cologne fortifications demolished and a new one built around 1350. However, after the pledge had been redeemed in 1369, Archbishop Friedrich III of Saarwerden had the "Jülich Castle" demolished again and the present complex built in its place. This was completed in the 1490s in Gothic style and brick construction, including a surrounding wall and town gates. As a provincial castle, Zülpich fulfilled the same functions as the Electorate of Cologne's fortifications in Linn, Hülchrath, Lechenich, Kempen, Uda and Zons.